As it is that time of year when the weather can cause significant risks for outdoor workers, the WCB has compiled a list of precautionary safety measures to consider for those of us who work outside in the cold. The following measures will help a worker to avoid the risk of cold stress while at work:
- Dress for the weather.
- Pace yourself during physically demanding work.
- Set up shelters to block wind where possible.
- Schedule work to be done on warmer days if possible.
- Take breaks in heated buildings.
- Drink plenty of warm fluids.
- Cover metal handles and bars with insulating materials.
- Monitor the temperature and wind and adjust work and breaks accordingly.